This is a very popular and common sundal made during navratri and other special occasions. This can also be served as an after-school snack for children.
Bengal Gram Dal (Kadalai Paruppu) – 200 gms
Coconut – 2 tsp, grated
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2, broken
Green Chilli – 1, chopped
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Curry Leaves – litle
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the dal for 1 hour and pressure cook till 1 whistle.
2. Remove, drain water and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
5. Add the dry red chillies, green chillies and cooked dal.
6. Add salt, coconut, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
7. Stir well and remove.
8. Serve at once.