Avarakkai (Broad Beans) is a popular and nutritious vegetable. Rich in fibre, protein, iron, folate, vitamins and minerals, they are typically used to be poriyal, curries or used to make Avial alongside other veggies. This pulao is best served with a raita of choice.
Avarakkai (Broad Beans) – 200 gms, chopped
Rice – 200 gms
Coconut Milk – 400 ml
Onions – 2
Green Chillies – 6 to 10
Salt as per taste
Saunf – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
1. Chop the onions and grind to a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a pressure pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the green chillies, saunf and ground onion paste.
4. Saute for a minute.
5. Add the chopped avarakkai pieces and stir well.
6. Wash the rice and drain well.
7. Add to the pan along with coconut milk.
8. Sprinkle enough salt and cover the pan with a lid.
9. Pressure cook until 1 or 2 whistles or until the rice has cooked.
10. Remove from flame and allow the pressure to reduce.
11. Open the lid and gently mix using a fork.
12. Serve with raita or side dish of choice.