1 cup rice
1/3 cup chana dal
1/3 cup moong dal
1/3 cup arhar dal
1 cup sour curd
4 green chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of asafoetida
a few sprigs curry leaves
a few sprigs of coriander leaves
a pinch of soda bicard
oil for frying
salt to taste
1. Clean the rice and dals. Mix and powder coarsely.
2. Chop green chillies and beat the curd. Mix curd, chopped chillies, curry leaves, coriander leaves, soda bicard, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt with the rice and dal powder. Make a thick batter.
3. Heat a little oil, add the mustard seeds. When they begin to crackle, add asafoetida and fenugreek seeds. Fry until golden brown. Remove from fire and add to the batter.
4. Keep the batter aside for one hour to ferment.
5. Grease a container, put the batter and steam it.
6. Then place the cooked handwo in a moderately hot oven for a few minutes until a crust forms on top.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.