Rice and milk based sweet dish with a saffron flavour.
500 ml milk
50 gms sugar
75 gms rice flour
a few strands of saffron
6-8 green cardamoms, powdered
25 gms pistachio
25 gms almonds
1. Boil the milk and reduce it to almost half the quantity.
2. Add the rice flour, mix well to prevent humps
3. Add the sugar and stir well till fully dissolved. Cook for a few minutes.
4. Dissolve the saffron in warm milk and add it to the mixture.
5. Pour the phirni into individual earthen bowls, garnish with chopped pistachios and almonds.
6. Place it in the fridge to cool and set.
7. The phirni should be yellowish in colour, grainy in texture and creamy in taste.
8. Serve cold.