Vegetarian Omelette without eggs
1 cup thick tomato juice
1 cup gram flour (besan)
3 green chillies, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1/2 cup grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp chilly powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil or vanaspati
1. Mix together all the ingredients (except the cheese and oil) adding some water if the batter is too thick.
2. Heat a tava (skillet) or preferably a non-stick pan. Pour in the oil and when hot, pour a ladleful of batter (2tsp). Spread the batter into a round.
3. Pour 1-2 tsp of oil all around the edge of the omelette and allow to cook till golden brown in colour. Turn it over and cook the other side as well.
4. Sprinkle some cheese, fold the omelette and serve immediately.
5. Alternatively, grease a round pan with oil, pour in the batter mixed with 2 tbsp of oil into it and bake at 190C/375F for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from oven, sprinkle the cheese and grill until the cheese melts. Cut into wedges and serve, with toast and apple chutney.