1 two-egg sponge cake
4 cups milk
3 tbslp custard powder
2 + 1 tbsp sugar
3 medium oranges
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp raisins
1 tsp orange essence
1 medium-sized pudding bowl
1. Grease the pudding bowl and cover the entire base of the mould with the sponge cake. Warm 1 cup of milk, pour over the cake, and allow it to soak.
2. Skin the orange, and peel it into sections, removing the seeds and pips. Mix in half of the nuts and raisings, and spread it over the cake layer. Sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 tsp of the orange essence. Refrigerate.
3. Mix the custard powder with half a cup of milk to a smooth paste. Set aside. Boil the rest of the milk with 2 tablespoons of sugar until the sugar dissolves and the milk starts to thicken. Now add the custard powder, stirring all the while so that no lumps are formed. Mix in the rest of the essence. Cool.
4. When the custard is sufficiently cold, pour it over the oranges and shake the vessel to ensure an even spread. Refrigerate.
5. Before serving, sprinkle the rest of the nuts and raisins on the custard layer.