3 cups wheat flour
1 small potato
1 small carrot
a few florets cauliflower
1/2 cup shelled peas
1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
salt to taste
ghee or oil for frying
Chop very fine:
3-4 green chillies
1/2 inch piece ginger
1 medium onion
a handful fresh coriander
1. Knead the flour with a little salt, 3 teaspoons of oil and sufficient water to make a soft dough. Keep covered for atleast 2-3 hours before making.
2. Wash and chop the vegetables. Add the shelled peas, a little salt and steam cook. While still hot, mash. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the chopped ingredients (except the coriander) and stir fry until the onions turn brown. Then add the chilly and garam masala powders, and fry for a while. Add the cooked vegetables and fry till dry. Add the chopped coriander, mix well, and set aside to cool. Divide the mixture into balls.
4. Divide the dough into lemon-sized balls, twice the number in step 3. Taking out 2 balls at a time, roll into 2 chapatis using a little oil while rolling instead of flour. (this will make parathas crisp).
5. Take a ball of the vegetable mixture, spread evenly on one chapati, and cover with the other. Seal the edges firmly all around by pressing them with wet fingers.
6. Heat a skillet (tawa) gently, put in the paratha, turn on both sides till done. Now add oil or ghee all around the edges, fry both sides, carefully turning over until evenly brown. Serve very hot.