2 cups broken pieces of semia (vermicelli)
1 tbsp ghee
5-6 cashew nuts (broken)
1 1/2 cups curd, churned
a large pinch of soda
salt to taste
minced coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp blackgram dal (urad dal)
1 tsp bengalgram dal (chana dal)
3 green chillies
1/2 inch piece ginger
2 sprigs curry leves
1. Heat ghee, add cashew nut pieces, fry to a golden brown, remove, set aside. To the same ghee, add semiya, fry to a golden brown, remove, set aside.
2. Pour oil into the kadai, add mustard and when done, add the dals. When the dals turn brown, add minced ingredients and when done, remove and cool.
3. Add seasonings to curds along with salt and soda. Add fried semia, cashew nuts and mix all of it thoroughly adding enough water to make batter of pouring consistency (like idli batter).
4. Grease idli moulds thoroughly. Pour a ladle full of batter into each and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or till done.
5. Serve hot with coconut chutney or coriander chutney.
These idli’s can be prepared in dhokla plates and served garnished with a little coconut, finely grated carrots and chopped coriander leaves.
You can also make this idli with 1 cup semia and 1 cup rava instead of only semia.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !