Egg noodles – 200 g
Chinese broccoli (kai-lan), small florets – 100 gm
Sesame oil – 30 ml
Prawns – , shelled and deveined – 100 g
Chicken boneless, diced – 50 gm
White vinegar – 1 tbsp
White pepper powder½ tsp
Salt – – to taste
Ground nut oil – 3 tbsp
Garlic cloves, chopped – 3-4
Ginger, inch piece, chopped – 1
Fresh Red chilli , thinly sliced – 2-3
Button mushrooms, quartered – 50 gm
Spinach thinly shredded – 50 gm
Spring onion with greens sliced – 2 no.
Soy sauce – ½ tbsp
Tomato sauce – 3 tbsp
MSG – – Â¼ tsp
Roasted peanuts, crushed ( lightly) – for garnishing
1. Boil six cups of water in a deep pan. Add salt, half of the sesame oil. Add the noodles and take it off the heat and keep it covered for three minutes or till the noodles are just done (al Dante’).
2. Drain, refresh in cold water and drain again. Spread on a large plate to cool.
3. Marinate prawns and chicken with sesame oil, white vinegar, white pepper powder and salt. Separately. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
4. Heat ground oil in a wok, add garlic, ginger and stir-fry for a minute. Add red chilli, chicken and prawns and stir fry for 2 minutes on high heat or till the prawns turns light pink in colour.
5. Add kai-lan, mushrooms and spinach, continue to stir-fry for minute. Add spring onions keeping aside some greens for garnishing and cook on high heat for a minute more.
6. Add noodles, soy sauce, tomato sauce, MSG, white pepper powder and adjust salt to taste. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes tossing continuously till the veggies blend well with the noodles
7. Remove from heat and serve hot garnished with reserve spring onion and roasted crushed peanuts.
Chef’s tip: Take care not to cook the prawns for too long, it will become rubbery, Chinese food is cooked on high heat so that it retains the crunch.