A delicious Chinese style Chicken cooked in a rice wine sauce and served with hot, steamed rice.
Whole Chicken Thighs – 4, small, skin removed
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, grated or shredded
Garlic – 1 clove, finely sliced
Spring Onions – 2 to 3, sliced
Star Anise – 1, small
Chinese Rice Wine – 50 ml
Soy Sauce – 3 tsp
Brown Sugar – 25 gms
Red Chilli – 1, small, finely chopped, to serve
Sesame Oil as required
1. Heat little oil in a large pan.
2. Add the chicken and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, turning from time to time, until lightly golden.
3. Add the ginger, garlic, spring onions and star anise.
4. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds.
5. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine and 1/3 cup of water.
6. Reduce flame, cover and cook until the sauce has reduced, turning from time to time, and chicken is evenly coated, about 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl.
8. Garnish with red chillies, spoon over any remaining sauce and serve with cooked rice.