A lovely and delicious red & white swiss roll cake for this Christmas.
Plain Flour – 150 gms
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
Cocoa Powder – 1/4 cup
Eggs – 8 to 10
Caster Sugar – 225 gms
Red Food Colouring – 2 tsp
Butter – 100 gms, melted
Icing Sugar – 150 gms
Swiss Roll Tin – 1
For the Filling:
Cream Cheese – 250 gms (available in supermarkets)
Icing Sugar – 600 gms + extra for dusting
Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
Double Cream – 1/4 cup
White Chocolate – 150 gms (see note at the end)
1. Mix the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a bowl.
2. Beat the eggs, caster sugar and food colouring until the mixture has doubled in volume.
3. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix well.
4. Add butter and pour this into the swiss roll tin lined with parchment paper.
5. Place it in a preheated oven at 190C and bake for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove and spinkle icing sugar on top.
7. Invert the cake onto a clean kitchen towel and peel off the parchment paper.
8. Sprinkle some more icing sugar and roll up the cake with the towel and keep it aside to cool.
9. Transfer the cream cheese to a bowl and beat well.
10. Add the icing sugar, cream and vanilla.
11. Beat well until it is thick but has a pourable consistency.
12. Slowly unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture.
13. Roll the cake again and keep aside. Sprinkle some more icing sugar if desired.
14. Cut into slices and serve.
Note: If desired, melt the white chocolate at #step 13 and drizzle over the cake and keep aside to set.