A tasty beetroot masala curry with sambar onions, garlic and tomatoes. Serve as a side dish to rice or dosa.
Beetroots – 500 gms
Shallots (Sambar Onions) – 18 to 20
Garlic – 5 cloves, crushed
Tomatoes – 2
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil – 2 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Saunf – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – little
1. Peel and dice the beetroots into small squares or sticks.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Fry the mustard seeds, saunf and curry leaves for 30 to 45 seconds.
4. Add the onions and garlic.
5. Saute until onions turn golden.
6. Add the tomatoes and cook until mushy.
7. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and beetroots.
8. Stir well.
9. Pour 1 cup of water and salt.
10. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the beetroots are done, stirring from time to time, about 10 minutes.
11. Remove and serve hot with rice.