Chow Chow – 2, peeled, diced
Onions – 2, chopped
Oil – 4 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tblsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Red Chillies – 3 to 4, broken
Curry Leaves – few
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
1. Boil the chow chow pieces in enough water over low flamme
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
4. Add the dals and fry till golden brown.
5. Add the red chillies, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
6. Add the onions and fry till transparent.
7. Add the chow chow pieces.
8. Add salt and turmeric powder.
9. Stir to mix well and cook for a minute or two.
10. Serve as a side dish.
Tip: If desired you can add grated coconut to enhance the flavour.