Kovakkai – 8 washed, cut lengthwise
Potato – 1 washed, cut lengthwise
Sweet Potato – 1 washed, cut lengthwise with skin
Onion – 1 chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Peanut – 1 tbsp (optional)
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Sprinkle a bit of salt and turmeric powder on the kovakkai pieces and keep aside for a few minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame
3. Fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
4. Add the dals, jeera, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
5. Add chopped onions and fry till they turn transparent.
6. Add the cut tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
7. Add the potato and sweet potato pieces and mix well.
8. Drain the water from kovakkai and squeeze dry.
9. Add to the pan and pour 1 cup of water.
10. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for a few minutes.
11. Keep stirring from time to time.
12. When all the water has been absorbed and the kovakkai is tender, remove to a serving bowl.
13. Serve with rice or chapatti.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !