Pachai Arisi (extra long-grained rice) – 1 cup
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil for deep frying
1. Wash the rice and dal together.
2. Soak them in 2 cups of water for 2 hours.
3. Drain and grind the mix with about 1/2 cup of water to make a smooth, thick batter.
4. Add milk, sugar and salt.
5. Mix well.
6. Refrigerate for an hour.
7. If the batter is too thick, add 1 to 2 tblsp of water and mix well.
8. Place oil in a wide-bottomed frying pan over medium heat.
9. Pour a small ladle of batter into the oil.
10. When the paniyaram rises to the top, turn it over and after about 3 seconds, remove it from the skillet.
11. Drain and serve hot.