Semoline (Sooji) – 4 1/2 cups
Split Black Gram – 1 tsp
Split Bengal Gram – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Pepper Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
Mustard – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli – 4
Ginger – a small piece
Curd – 2 cups
Curry Leaves – 2 tsp
Cooking Oil – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Dry roast semolina till it becomes brown.
2. Pour oil in a pan to heat.
3. Add mustard seeds to sprout.
4. Add split black gram, split bengal gram, asafoetida and chopped curry leaves along with mustard.
5. Fry till they become brown.
6. Mix cumin powder and pepper powder with it.
7. Mix all the ingredients along with the chopped ginger, chilli pieces, salt and semolina in curd and stir them briskly.
8. Allow the batter to ferment in a container for 5 to 6 hours.
9. Prepare idly by pouring the batter in idli plates and steam them to a cooker.
10. Serve with coconut chutney or onion chutney and sambar.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !