Rajma Kurma makes a great side dish with any meal.
Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) – 250 gms
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tblsp
Tomatoes – 100 gms, chopped
Onions – 100 gms, chopped
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Coriander Powder – 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Dry Red Chillies – 3
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Mint Leaves – handful, chopped
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the rajma for 6 to 7 hours or overnight.
2. Drain well and rinse.
3. Add salt and pressure cook with some more water until 1 whistle.
4. Keep aside until required.
5. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
6. Fry the cumin seeds and dry red chillies for 30 seconds.
7. Add garlic, onions, tomatoes and saute for two minutes.
8. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well.
9. Add the cooked rajma and mix well.
8. Grind the coconut and add to the pan.
9. Stir once or twice to mix all the ingredients.
10. Add a little water if it is too thick.
11. Bring to a boil.
12. Add garam masala powder and simmer until slightly thick.
13. Remove from flame.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves.
15. Serve with rice or as a side dish to roti, naan, idli or dosa.