Carrots – 4, finely chopped or grated
Spinach Leaves – 200 gms, chopped
Basmati Rice – 500 gms
Bay Leaf – 2
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Oil – 1/4 cup
Almonds or Cashewnuts – 3 to 4 tblsp, lightly fried in oil
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Hot Water – 1 litre
Salt as per taste
1. Heat 1 to 2 tblsp oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the cumin seeds for a minute or two.
3. Add the turmeric powder, carrots and bay leaf.
4. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Now add the rice and a pinch of salt.
6. Stir well and gently pour the hot water.
7. Bring to a boil and reduce flame.
8. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Add the spinach leaves and continue to cook till the rice is cooked and tender.
10. Gently stir to combine all the ingredients.
11. Transfer to a serving dish.
12. Garnish with the almonds or cashewnuts.
13. Serve warm with raita or with a gravy of choice.