This rasam is generally made in villages of Southern Tamilnadu.
Betel Leaves – 10, stems removed, finely chopped
Tamarind Extract – 2 cups
Rasam Powder – 1 tblsp
Jaggery – little piece
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the betel leaves in hot water and remove.
2. Drain well and grind to a paste.
3. Heat tamarind extract in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the betel paste, rasam powder, salt and jaggery.
5. Stir well and bring to a boil.
6. Remove and cover with a lid.
7. Fry the mustard seeds and asafoetida powder.
8. Add to the rasam and serve hot.