Vada is a popular South Indian tea time / evening snack served with chutney and sambar of choice.
Idli Rice (Parboiled Rice) – 6 cups
Toor Dal – 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 8
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida – little piece
Ginger – a small piece, grated (optional)
Sambar Onions – 3 cups, chopped
Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the rice and dal for 2 hours together.
2. Drain well.
3. Add coriander seeds, salt, red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves and little water.
4. Grind to a coarse paste.
5. Add the sambar onions and grind to a fine, smooth paste.
6. Ensure the batter is not too thick or too thin.
7. Sprinkle coriander leaves and mix well.
8. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
9. Take 2 (or 3) tblsp of the batter and flatten them in your palms.
10. Gently slide them into the hot oil and fry till golden brown.
11. Remove and drain excess oil.
12. Serve hot with chutney of choice.