Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies – 3
Nellikai (Amla) – 3, medium size
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Mint Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder and asafoetida powder till 1 whistle or until well mashed.
2. Grind together the green chillies, nellikai, mint leaves and little salt to a fine paste.
3. Pour 2 cups of water into a pan and place over medium flame.
4. Add the cooked dal, ground nellikai paste and salt.
5. Bring to a boil and switch off the flame.
6. Heat ghee in a pan.
7. Fry the cumin seeds for 30 seconds and add to the rasam.
8. Serve as a soup or with rice.