Dating back to the 1890s, it was a non-alcoholic mixture of ginger ale, ice and lemon peel. By the 1910s, brandy, sometimes bourbon would be added for a ‘Horse’s Neck with a Kick’ or ‘~ Stiff’. The non-alcoholic version was still served in upstate New York in the late fifties or early sixties, but eventually it was phased out. To give this an extra kick, you can substitute whisky for the brandy.
- Ginger Ale
- Brandy – 1 part
- Ice Cubes
- A spiral of Lemon Peel to garnish
- Place a couple of ice cubes in a highball glass.
- Pour the brandy over them.
- Garnish with the lemon spiral.
- Top up the glass with ginger ale to taste.