It is thought the origin of this cocktail dates back to the 1850s,when, it is believed, it was first mixed by Jerry Thomas, a famous St.Louis bartender of the day. Later, the name simply got changed, probably at the same time as the original recipe was simplified substantially.
- Egg – 1, yolk and white separated
- Caster Sugar
- Light Rum – 1 part
- Brandy – 1 part
- Nutmeg – grated
- Boiling Water
- Beat the yolk and white of the egg separately.
- Combine the two, adding sufficient sugar to the mixture to stiffen it.
- Place the mixture in a warmed coffee cup.
- Add the rum, followed by the brandy, and finally top up with boiling water.
- Sprinkle the grated nutmeg over the top.
- Serve while still piping hot.