You must use fresh pineapple for this party starter, and you must plan a week in advance to allow the flavors to meld.
- 1 large, ripe pineapple
- 1 bottle vodka
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 heaping tablespoons sugar
- Cut the rind away from the pineapple and slice the fruit away from the core.
- Cut the fruit into 1-inch chunks and place them with any accumulated juices into a large covered jar or container.
- Add the vodka, vanilla bean, and sugar. Stir well, then cover and set in a cool, dark place for 1 week.
- Strain the mixture and discard the vanilla bean.
- Save the pineapple to enjoy later on.
- Pour the vodka back into its original bottle and store in the freezer.
- The vodka will not freeze.
- Serve in chilled shot glasses.
- Or serve over ice, topped with ginger ale or orange or cranberry juice.