4-1/4 cups plain flour
3/4 cup rice flour
1-1/2 cups sugar ground
3/4 cup ghee
2-3 pinches salt
ghee for deep frying
- Sieve together plain flour and slat.
- Add in measured ghee, mix with fingers till crumbly.
- Add cold water, knead into a pliable dough.
- Cover with moist cloth, dividing into 20 parts.
- Make a cream by beating together rice flour and 3 tbsp. ghee.
- Roll each part into a wafer thin round.
- Brush with creamedflour, place another place another round on top.
- Repeat procedure for 5-6 layers.
- Roll tightly into a round cylinder.
- Cut 1″ thick slices, roll lightly to a thick round.
- Repeat for all dough
- Heat ghee in heavy pan, fry rounds till golden on slow-medium heat.
- The layers of chirote should show when they open a bit on frying.
- Only then will they be and look crisp.
- Allow to cool a little, sprinkle powdered sugar over it, cool completely,
- Store in airtight container after cooling completely.,
- Serve this favourite diwali sweet, as desired.