Oil – 2 tblsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Black Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
1. Put the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot, add asafoetida powder, mustard seeds and urad dal.
3. Fry over medium heat, till mustard seeds splutter and the dal is golden, for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions, tomatoes and red chillies and cook till onions are soft.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Add coconut and toss gently to blend the ingredients.
7. Mix in tamarind paste.
8. Grind all the ingredients in a blender with 1 cup of warm water, to make a smooth paste.
9. Stir in salt and refrigerate till serving time.