500 gms gunda (a kind of berry)
oil as required
1/4 cup salt
3/8 cup turmeric powder
3/8 cup fenugreek seeds coarsely grounded
a big size pinch asafoetida
1/8 cup mustard seeds coarsely grounded
150 gms mango pieces
1/4 cup red chilli powder
How to make gunda :
* Cut the gunda and scrape the seeds with a salted knife.
* Mix in a little salt and turmeric powder.
* Wash the mangoes completely and wipe them completely dry.
* Cut into cubes and take off the soft seeds.
* Mix everything fenugreek, mustard and turmeric powders.
* Heat up 2 cup oil in a pan.
* Set it aside till it cools down to lukewarm.
* Pour out the oil over the powders and mix well.
* Heat up salt slightly in a dry pot on low heat.
* Take it off and in the same pan, heat up red chilli powder similarly.
* Mix in both these ingredients to the oil masala.
* Mix in the gunda and the mango pieces cubes to the masala mixture and mix till all of them are well coated with the masala.
* Transfer into a dry ceramic or a glass jar.
* Set it aside for 4 ââ‚¬“ 5 days without mixing.
* Heat up enough oil to completely cover the pickled gunda and mango cubes.
* When the oil has cooled down completely mix in to the jar.
* Keep the jar covered tightly.
* The pickle will be ready to serve in about a week.