Rice happens to be a major part of diet in India. People like to include rice in lunch or dinner with dal and Subji. It can be consumed such by making biryani and pulao dishes. Many people think making these delicacies takes a lot of time and energy. Here are some easy to make Biryani and Pulao varieties for the vegetarian eaters. Good use of spices and mixing up the rice in an expert manner makes these dishes smell and taste wonderful.
- Saffron Rice: This popular variety is simple to make and has a wonderful sweet aroma. Wash the basmati rice and keep aside. Break saffron strands and keep it soaked in warm milk. Take a pressure cooker and put some good quality ghee in it. Fry some whole cashew nuts and keep aside, followed by adding bay leaf, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and seeds of cardamom. You can also use cumin seeds for an extra edge. Mix the basmati rice and fry it well with salt and sugar. Pour water to make the rice cook well, but not break. Cook it for one whistle and open the lid to get lovely yellowish Saffron rice. Serve hot with deep fried onions, mint sprig and cashew on top.
- Sweet Pulao: Put slight turmeric powder in basmati rice after washing and soak it for a couple of minutes. Cook it well and make sure the rice does not break. Take ghee in a pan and put whole cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks followed by the nutmeg. When flavor starts coming out add the yellow rice and mix well. Put lots of sugar to make it taste sweet. Put some cashew nuts and raisins on top with a tablespoon of kewra water. Serve hot with decorative edible foil on top.
- Vegetable Biryani: Take a handful of vegetables like potato, cauliflower, carrots, corn, peas and beans and cook well in oil with cumin seeds and biryani masala. Keep aside and cook the basmati rice to 80% consistency. Then take a pot and put ghee in it. Add whole garam masala and a bit of garlic paste and layer rice and vegetables prepared previously. Add kewra water and saffron consisting slight milk and let it cook in sealed condition for five minutes. Serve hot with coriander leaves on top.
- Kashmiri Pulao: Soak basmati rice and keep aside. Mix milk, cream, salt and sugar thoroughly and keep aside. Take ghee in a pot and add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cardamom seeds, cinnamon sticks and cloves and let it cook. Add rice in it and fry well. Add the cream and milk mixture and mix well. Put water to make sure the rice is cooked well with every strand separate. Add some dried fruits on top and garnish with edible rose petals.
- Chick Peas and Radish Pulao: This combination may sound unfamiliar but is good for taste difference. Boil chick peas and keep aside. Grate radish and cut tomatoes, onion, green chillies coriander leaves and mint leaves. Take a pan and add bay leaves, asafetida, anise seeds, cloves and cinnamon in oil and make it crackle followed by adding turmeric powder, cut tomato, green chillies, grated radish and ginger garlic paste. Add chick peas, curd and basmati rice and mix well. The pressure lid has been put on with water to make the pulao cook well yet not break. Serve hot with a tomato cut in flower like fashion on top.
- Shahi Rice: Boil basmati rice and keep aside. Take a nice dollop of ghee in a pan and put shah jeera, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom seeds and cut green chillies along with bay leaves and allow to crackle for bringing out the flavor. Keep aside fried cashews and raisins for decoration. Put cubes of paneer and boiled peas in the spices and mix the rice well. You can add dried cherries and berries for extra punch. Salt and a little milk with saffron strands are also added for making it taste Royal. Serve hot with fried cashews and raisins on top.
- Navratan Pulao: This rice looks very tempting because of colorful fruits added to it. Making this pulao is easy with boiling the basmati rice at first. Add whole bay leaf, cardamom seeds, cloves and cinnamon sticks in ghee taken on the pan. Add sugar and salt and put the rice inside. Add fruits like green grapes, red cherries, pomegranate seeds, pineapple chunks, apple cubes, boiled peas, raisins, paneer cubes and orange slices cut in cubes. The fruity smell makes the rice look refreshing.
- Coconut Milk Pulao: Soak basmati rice in coconut milk and keep aside. Put ghee on pan and add cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Then add onion and chilli pieces and cook well till flavor comes out. Put the soaked rice in it and pour good quantities of coconut milk to cook it well. Serve hot with some raita.
- Paneer and Soya Bean Biryani: Cook paneer and soya bean chunks in biryani masala with onion and ginger garlic paste and keep aside. Take boiled basmati rice and layer it with the cooked mixture with ghee, kewra water and whole garam masala in a pot. Cooking is completed while being kept in a sealed container for some time.
- Basmati Rice and Dal Pulao: Chana dal is soaked overnight and cooked well so that it is tender yet not broken. Take ghee on a pan and put bay leaves, black cumin seeds, onions, peppercorns, green chillies and cardamom, cloves and cinnamon sticks. Add the rice and cook till it is tender and add the dal so that it does not get mashed after rice is done well. Serve hot with a coriander leaf sprig on top.
Try these amazing recipes at home and enjoy with the family. You can prepare these when guests are due to arrive in festive occasions. Garam masala is present in every body’s kitchen along with ghee and basmati rice. Just add fruits, vegetables, paneer and some common requirements here and there and alter the taste of lunch and dinner at home.
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this "10 Popular Vegetarian Biryani and Pulao Dishes" article from Awesome Cuisine.