Pongal is a popular South Indian breakfast dish often served with chutney, sambar or (brinjal) gojju. There are a few varieties of pongal and this is one of them.
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp, powdered coarsely
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 2
Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Ghee as required
Curry Leaves – few
Cashewnuts – few
1. Dry roast the rice and dal separately in a pan.
2. Combine the rice and dal with ginger, green chillies, salt and enough water.
3. Cook till it reaches a pongal consistency (not too dry and not too watery).
4. Heat ghee in a small frying pan.
5. Fry the curry leaves, cashewnuts, peppercorns and cumin seeds for 30 to 45 seconds.
6. Add this to the pongal and stir gently.
7. Serve hot.