Small Onions – 1 cup, peeled
Red Gram Dal – 1/2 cup
Tamarind – 1 medium lime sized
Tomatoes – 2
Green Chillies – 2
Salt as per taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Dhania – 2 1/2 tsp
Black Gram Dal – 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Red Chillies – 8
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Roasted Gram – 1 tblsp
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
1. Heat a tsp of oil and fry the dhania, black gram dal, cumin seeds, bengal gram dal, red chillies and fenugreek seeds till golden.
2. Fry one onion and 1 tomato with little oil separately.
3. Grind everything with 1/4 cup of grated fresh coconut and 1 tblsp of roasted gram
4. Heat oil in a shallow pan and fry the small onions for a minute or two.
5. Add enough water and boil till soft.
6. Cook red gram dal in pressure cooker and mash well.
7. Soak the tamarind and extract.
8. Mix the onions, mashed dal, tamarind extract, ground paste with salt, slit green chillies, tomatoes.
9. Boil with enough water.
10. When the sambar is thick remove from fire.
11. Heat one tsp of oil and add mustard seeds to splutter.
12. Pour over sambar with little asafoetida powder.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves.
14. Serve with idli or dosai.
Idli Sambar Recipe