* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* ¼ cup rice flour
* ¼ teaspoon baking powder
* 2 cups water
* 4 cups sugar
* 3 cups water
* ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
* red and yellow food coloring
* 1 teaspoon rosewater
3 cups of vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Mix up the batter ingredients until smooth.
2. Let the batter sit unrefrigerated and uncovered overnight (about 12 hours).
3. Mix the sugar, water, and cream of tartar for the syrup.
4. Stir the syrup over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Put on high heat and boil for 5 minutes.
6. Let the syrup cool, and stir in the rosewater and food coloring (color it to light orange).
7. Put the vegetable oil in a wide wok-like dish, and heat to about 350°F (175°C).
8. Put the batter into a pastry bag with about a ¼ inch opening. If it is too dry to squeeze out, mix in a bit of water.
9. Squeeze the batter into the oil, making a couple of figure 8s and loops on top of each other. The shape should be about 3 inches on its longest side.
10. Fry each jalebi until golden brown. Remove, let the oil drain off, then soak in syrup for a minute.