Rice Noodles – 500 gms, blanched in boiling water for 3 minutes
Hard-boiled Eggs – 2, peeled and quartered
Cabbage – 1/2 cup, chopped
Cucumber – 1/2 cup, chopped
Bean Sprouts – 1/2 cup, blanched
Lemon Basil Leaves – 1 small bunch
Chilli Flakes – 1 tblsp, dried
For the Coconut Fish Curry:
Fish – 1, small, about 250 gms
Small Onions – 1/3 cup, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves
Galangal Root – 2 thick slices
Lemongrass – 2 tblsp, sliced
Dried Chillies – 3, seeds removed
Salt as per taste
Dried Shrimp Paste – 1 tsp, roasted
Water – 1 cup
Thin Coconut Milk – 1 litre
Fish Sauce – 2 tblsp
Coconut Cream – 1/2 cup
1. Wash and clean the fish, removing the head.
2. Keep it in a small pan and cover with little water.
3. Simmer until soft, covered.
4. Drain and reserve the water.
5. Remove the flesh of the fish, discarding the skin and bones. Keep aside.
6. Add the small onions, garlic, galangal, lemongrass, dried chillies, salt, shrimp paste and water in a pan.
7. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
8. Remove and transfer to a blender.
9. Add the fish and grind to a paste.
10. Put the ground fish mixture in a pan.
11. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
12. Add the reserved water and fish sauce.
13. Reduce heat to low and simmer until it has thickened, stirring from time to time.
14. Add the coconut cream and remove.
15. Add a portion of the rice noodles along with a little of the other ingredients in serving owls.
16. Spoon the coconut fish curry on top and serve immediately.