Toor Dal – 1 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Curry Leaves – few
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the dal, coriander, peppercorns, cumin seeds and red chilli for 15 minutes in water.
2. Grind them together and keep aside.
3. Heat a pan over medium flame.
4. Pour the tamarind extract and add salt and asafoetida powder.
5. Bring to a boil and add the ground paste.
6. Mix well and bring to a boil again.
7. Add required water and heat through.
8. In a small frying pan, heat ghee and fry the mustard seeds.
9. Pour this into the rasam and mix well.
10. Serve hot with rice.