For the Uttapam Batter:
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Long-grain Rice – 2 1/2 cup
Water – 2 to 2 1/4 cups
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/4 cup
1. Rinse and soak the dal in 5 cups of water for 5 hours.
2. Soak the rice in 4 cups of water for 5 hours.
3. Drain both.
4. Grind the dal with 3/4 cup of water to a smooth paste and transfer to a container.
5. Grind rice with 1 1/2 cups of water to a coarse paste.
6. Mix both.
7. Add salt and enough water to make a thick batter.
8. Keep aside overnight.
9. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan.
10. Saute the capsicum, carrots and onion for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add salt, mix well and keep aside.
12. Heat a dosa tawa over medium heat.
13. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread it gently into a mediium-large circle.
14. Spread the vegetable mixture all over and cook.
15. Drizzle 1/4 tsp of oil on top and cook for 45 to 60 seconds over medium heat. You can also cover the tawa with a lid.
16. When the bottom is brown, remove from tawa and transfer to a serving dish.
17. Serve hot with chutney and sambar of choice.