Chana Dal – 1 kg
Ghee – 2 kgs
Almonds – 1/2 kg, finely ground
Saffron – 1 tsp, soaked in milk and ground
Sugar – 3 kgs
Semolina – 1 kg
A round baking tin of 8 inch diameter
1. Boil the dal and strain through a cloth.
2. Squeeze out all the water and mash well.
3. Heat half the ghee in a large pan and fry the dal till it turns brown and the ghee separates.
4. Drain out the extra ghee.
5. Add ground almonds, saffron and sugar.
6. Cook to make a mixture that is pliable but neither too soft nor too dry. (this is called Puran)
7. Mix 1/2 kg of ghee with the semolina and knead well together, adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup of hot water.
8. Soften the dough with a rolling pin.
9. Roll out the dough into the same size of the baking tin but into very fine chapatis.
10. Cook these on a tawa on both sides without scorching.
11. Put a layer of ghee first on the baking tin.
12. Lay one of the cooked chapati.
13. Cover this with a layer of cooked puran and spread it evenly.
14. Cover with a layer of ghee and put another chapati on top.
15. Again spread puran and cover witha layer of ghee.
16. Repeat till you reach the top of the baking tin.
17. Cover with a thick layer of ghee and bake in the oven on low heat for about 45 minutes.
18. It should not be brown but should be firm and soft.
19. Remove and leave to cool.
20. Cut like a cake and serve.
Puran Puri Recipe
Recommended for you
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Puran Puri from Awesome Cuisine.