Sugar – 250 gms
Water – 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Saffron – a pinch
Flour – 250 gms
Salt as per taste
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 tblsp
Rice Flour – 1 tblsp
Oil – 1 cup, for deep frying
Kopra – 1/4, grated, for garnishing
1. Boil sugar with water to form a 1 string consistency syrup.
2. Add saffron and boil for 2 minutes.
3. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together.
4. Knead with a little water to form a pliable, soft dough.
5. Ensure it is not sticky.
6. Cover and keep for 60 minutes and knead again.
7. Make balls and roll out each into 1/2 inch or 1 inch thick squares.
8. Spread a little ghee all over.
9. Sprinkle rice flour over this and spread evenly.
10. Roll up the spread-out dough tightly from one end to the other and keep it covered with a damp cloth in the fridge for 2 hours.
11. Cut each roll into 3/4 inch pieces and roll flat.
12. Fry in hot oil till light golden brown.
13. Remove and drain out the excess oil.
14. Put these into the sugar syrup for 3 to 5 minutes and not any longer.
15. Remove and drain the syrup well.
16. Sprinkle grated kopra.
18. These stay good for a week or 10 days if stored properly.
Tip: You can store the dough in the fridge until you need it.
You might also like:
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Kaazaalu from Awesome Cuisine.