Sugar – 250 gms
Water – 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Saffron – a pinch
Flour – 250 gms
Salt as per taste
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 tblsp
Rice Flour – 1 tblsp
Oil – 1 cup, for deep frying
Kopra – 1/4, grated, for garnishing
1. Boil sugar with water to form a 1 string consistency syrup.
2. Add saffron and boil for 2 minutes.
3. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together.
4. Knead with a little water to form a pliable, soft dough.
5. Ensure it is not sticky.
6. Cover and keep for 60 minutes and knead again.
7. Make balls and roll out each into 1/2 inch or 1 inch thick squares.
8. Spread a little ghee all over.
9. Sprinkle rice flour over this and spread evenly.
10. Roll up the spread-out dough tightly from one end to the other and keep it covered with a damp cloth in the fridge for 2 hours.
11. Cut each roll into 3/4 inch pieces and roll flat.
12. Fry in hot oil till light golden brown.
13. Remove and drain out the excess oil.
14. Put these into the sugar syrup for 3 to 5 minutes and not any longer.
15. Remove and drain the syrup well.
16. Sprinkle grated kopra.
18. These stay good for a week or 10 days if stored properly.
Tip: You can store the dough in the fridge until you need it.
Recommended for you
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Kaazaalu from Awesome Cuisine.