Raw Rice – 1 cup
Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
Ulundu – 1 1/2 cup
Peppercorns – 1 tsp, powdered
Sukku Podi (Dry Ginger Powder) – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – little
Curry Leaves – few
Oil – 1 tblsp
Salt as per taste
1. Soak both the rice varieties and ulundu for 1 hour.
2. Add salt and grind to a coarse (rava like consistency) batter. Add water if required at the time of grinding.
3. Keep aside for 1 or 2 hours and mix well to a idli batter consistency.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Add the peppercorns, cumin seeds, sukku powder, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
6. Fry for 30 to 45 seconds and add to the batter.
7. Grease a plate with little oil.
8. Pour 1 or 2 ladleful of the batter and steam cook for 15 minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving plate and cut into squares or rectangles.
10. Serve at once.
Tip: You can also use an idli mould or a small cup.