Chicken – 500 gms, cleaned and cut into pieces
Tomatoes – 4, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 4
Onions – 3, chopped
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Saunf – 1/2 tsp
Black Peppercorns – 2 tblsp, roasted and coarsely powdered
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – few
Ginger – 1 tsp, chopped into sticks
1. Heat oil in a kadai.
2. Add jeera and fry for 10 to 15 seconds.
3. Add onions and saunf.
4. Saute well till the onions turn a light golden brown.
5. Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
6. After this has cooked, add the tomatoes and continue stirring.
7. Add the turmeric powder, pepper powder and stir for 69 to 90 seconds.
8. Reduce the flame and add the chicken pieces.
9. Stir until the chicken pieces are well coated with the masala.
10. Add 1 or 2 cups of water and cover with a lid.
11. Let the chicken cook for a few minutes.
12. Remove the lid and increase the flame.
13. Add garam masala powder and quickly stir till all the water evaporates.
14. Adjust the seasoning and turn off the flame.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves and ginger strips.
16. Serve at once.
This recipe is unique to the roadside joints in Andhra Pradesh and is served with hot rice and dal.
Andhra Pepper Chicken Recipe