Bitter Gourd (Karela) – 1/4 kg
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 2 tsp
Potatoes – 2
Ghee – 100 gms
Asafoetida – a pinch
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Aniseed (Saunf) – 2 tsp, powdered
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp, powdered
Amchur (Dry Mango) Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2, chopped
1. Scrape bitter gourds and rub with 1 tsp and 1/2 tsp turmeric mixture.
2. Set aside for 3 hours.
3. Squeeze the gourds to remove as much liquid as possible.
4. Cook in plenty of boiling water for 10 minutes till tender and crisp.
5. Drain and cut into pieces, discarding seeds.
6. Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces.
7. Heat ghee in a pan and fry the asafoetida and cumin for 2 minutes.
8. Add bitter gourds and potatoes.
9. Add the remaining ingredients.
10. Cover and cook on very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or till potatoes are tender.
11. Serve with plain rice or roti.
Bitter Gourd with Potatoes Recipe
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Bitter Gourd with Potatoes from Awesome Cuisine.