1 cup plain rice.
1 cup parboiled rice.
1/4 cup white udad dal.
1/2 tsp. methi (fenugreek) seeds
1 /2 tsp soda bi carbonate
1/2 cup curds the batter.
10-12 tsps. ghee or oil as preferred
water for grinding
1. Wash the rices and dal together.
2. Add plenty of water and methi seeds.
3. Allow to soak for 7-8 hours or overnight.
4. Rewash the rice by draining the water 2-3 times.
5. Grind to a paste.
6. Add soda bicarb and salt and mix well.
7. Keep aside in a warm place for 8-10 hours.
8. Beat the curds well.
9. Add to the batter, add more water if required.
10. The consistency of the batter should be enough to thickly coat on a spoon when dipped.
11. Heat the iron griddle or non-stick tawa well.
12. Pour a spoonful of batter in the centre, spread with the back of the spoon to a thin round.
13. Pour a tsp. of ghee or oil over it.
14. Spread chutney spread over dosa.
15. Place a tbsp. masala in the centre.
16. Fold into triangle to cover masala.
17. Remove with spatula when crisp.
18. Serve hot with chutney and/or sambar.
2 large onions in vertical slices
2 large potatoes boiled and peedled
4-5 green chillies
1 tbsp. chopped coriander
8-10 cashews halved
1/2 tsp. each udad dal, cumin & mustard seeds
2 tbsp. oil
1/4 tsp. turmeric
salt to taste
1. Chop potatoes coarsely.
2. Chop green chillies.
3. Heat oil, add cashews and brown lightly.
4. Add dal, seeds and splutter.
5. Add chillies and onions.
6. Fry till tender.
7. Add turmeric, salt, potatoes, coriander.
8. Mix well.