Whole Black Gram – 250 gms
Ginger – 1 one inch piece
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Clarified Butter – 2 tbsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Jimmu – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Garlic – 2 tsp, chopped
Whole Red Chillies – 3 o 4, halved
1. Pick, clean, wash the whole black gram.
2. Soak in water for an hour.
3. Grind the ginger and cumin seeds. Keep aside.
4. Cook the whole black gram in an iron pan with the ginger-cumin seed paste and salt.
5. Add just enough water to cover the whole black gram.
6. When the whole black gram is cooked, mash with the back of the ladle till well mixed.
7. Remove from the flame.
8. Heat the clarified butter. Add the asafoetida, jimmu, garlic and red chillies.
9. When the chillies turn brown, pour this spice mixture over the whole black gram and cover.
10. Serve hot.
Kali Daal Recipe