Readymade Idiyappam Sticks – 250 gms
Salt – 2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Onions – 2, medium, finely chopped (in some places, onions are not added. So, you can exclude this if you wish)
Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
Yogurt – 1/4 cup, whisked with 1 tblsp water (same as onions. optional)
Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped
Oil – 4 tblsp
Curry Leaves – 5
Black Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
1. Boil 4 cups of water in a large pan.
2. When the water is boiling hot, add 1 tsp of salt and the idiyappm sticks.
3. Boil uncovered for 5 minutes.
4. When the rice sticks are tender, drain thoroughly and set aside.
5. For the tempering, put 4 tblsp of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
6. When the oil is hot, add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and dal.
7. Fry over medium heat for about 30 seconds till mustard seeds splutter and dal is golden.
8. Add onions and green chillies.
9. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
10. Add the idiyappam sticks and gently mix with the onions and chillies.
11. Reduce heat to low while mixing well.
12. Add 1 tsp of salt and diluted yogurt, to moisten lightly.
13. Stir gently.
14. Mix in coriander leaves and Serve hot.
Savoury Idiyappam Recipe
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Savoury Idiyappam from Awesome Cuisine.