Lamb Pieces – 1 kg
Clarified Butter – 1 cup
Onion Paste – 1 1/2 cups
Ginger Paste – 4 tsp
Garlic Paste – 4 tsp
Cinnamon – 1
Cloves – 3
Tomato Puree – 1 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 3 tsp
Nutmeg – 1/2, ground
Mace – 1 tsp, ground
Yogurt – 1 cup
Salt to taste
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Green Coriander – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
1. Heat the clarified butter in a kadai over a medium high flame.
2. When hot, add the onion paste and fry till it turns light brown in colour.
3. Add the ginger-garlic pastes and sauté for a few seconds.
4. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves and the lamb. Cook till the lamb is slightly tender and brown.
5. Add the tomato puree, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, nutmeg, mace, yorgurt and salt.
6. Cook for 10 minutes more on a high flame.
7. Add the Garam masala and 3 cups of water.
8. Cook covered on low heat until the oil separates from the spices and comes to the surface.
9. The lamb should be quite tender by now.
10. Remove the cover and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes, until enough of the liquid has evaporated, leaving a thick gravy.
11. Serve hot, garnished with green coriander.