Cucumber – 1, large
Green Chillies – 3 to 4, slit
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Tamarind – 1 large lemon sized ball
Jaggery – a small lump
Sesame Seeds – 1 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Rice Flour – 1 tblsp
Salt to taste
Sesame Seed Oil – 3 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal – 1 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a large pinch
1. Put the tamarind in hot water and extract the pulp. Set aside.
2. Dry roast sesame seeds, powder and set aside.
3. Peel cucumber, discard centre seed portion and cut the rest into fairly large pieces.
4. Season in oil the ingredients for seasoning in the order given.
5. When the dals have turned golden brown, add curry leaves, green chillies and cucumber pieces along with turmeric powder.
6. Fry on low heat till cucumber gets soft.
7. Add tamarind pulp, jaggery, salt and 2 cups of water. Cook for a while.
8. Mix rice flour with a little water, add to cucumber, boil for 3 to 5 minutes or till gravy is quite thick.
9. Add sesame seed powder, mix, remove from fire.
10. Serve hot with rice.