Cauliflower - 1, large
Noodles - 50 gms
Cheese - 1 cup
Breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
Butter - 2 tblsp and a little extra
Flour - 1 tblsp
A greased Casserole dish
For the Sauce:
Tomatoes - 1/2 kg
Onion - 1, medium, minced
Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
Fresh Herbs - 1 tsp, minced
Dried Oregano - a pinch
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Cut cauliflower into florets, discard the hard stem.
2. Steam cook florets, sprinkling some salt.
3. When done, they should be tender but crisp.
4. Cook noodles according to instructions on packet, set aside.
5. To make tomatoe sauce, boil tomatoes with enough water, cool, pass through a liquidiser, strain and take out thick tomato juice.
6. Melt butter, add minced onion and garlic, fry to a light brown, add flour, stir fry till lightly browned.
7. Add tomato puree, all the seasonings, cook till thick - sauce consistency.
8. Remove from fire, add cauliflower, noodles and 3/4 of the cheese, mix thoroughly, pour into a greased casserole, even out surface.
9. Sprinkle rest of the cheese, the bread crumbs and dot the surface with butter.
10. Bake in a moderate oven till cheese melts and the top is browned.
11. Serve hot as a main dish.
Tip: Instead of noodles, you could use any pasta.