Vegetable Oil – 1 to 2 tblsp
Onion – 1, chopped
Garlic – 1 clove, crushed
Carrot – 1 large, coarsely grated
Basmati Rice – 1 cup, soaked for 20 to 30 minutes
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander – 2 tsp, ground
Black Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Green Cardamom Pods – 4
Vegetable Stock – 2 cups
Bay Leaf – 1
Unsalted Walnuts and Cashew Nuts – 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Ground Black Pepper to taste
Fresh Coriander Sprigs – to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the onion, garlic and carrot for 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Drain the rice and add to the pan with the spices. Cook for 2 minutes stirring to coat the grains in oil.
3. Pour in the stock, stirring and add the bay leaf and season well.
4. Remove the pan from the heat without lifting the lid. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then check the rice. If it is cooked, there will be small steam holes on the surface of the rice. Discard the bay leaf and the cardamom pods.
5. Stir in the walnuts and cashew nuts and check the seasoning.
6. Spoon on to a warmed platter, garnish with the fresh coriander and serve.