Urad Dal – 1 cup
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, peeled and grated
Green Chillies – 8
Salt as per taste
Coconut – 4 tblsp, grated
Jeera – 1 to 2 tsp
Curd – 1 to 1.2 litres, whisked smooth
Coriander Leaves – 3 tblsp, chopped
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Dried Red Chilli – 1, halved
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
1. Wash dal.
2. Drain and soak in 2 cups of water for 2 hours.
3. Drain and grind to make a fine batter with ginger , 4 green chillies and 3/4 tsp salt.
4. Make small round patties.
5. Deep fry in hot oil until crisp.
6. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Keep aside.
8. Grind coconut with remaining green chillies and cumin seeds to a fine consistency.
9. Stir the paste into the curd and 3/4 tsp of salt.
10. Mix well and keep aside.
11. Heat oil for tempering. Fry the tempering ingredients and add it to the curd.
12. Mix well.
13. Either spoon the spiced curd over the vadai or put the vadai into the curd for a few 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves.
15. Serve immediately.
Thayir vadai tend to get soggy if left in the curd for long. So spoon the curd or soak it in curd mixture 20 minutes before serving.
Thayir Vadai Recipe
Recommended for you
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Thayir Vadai from Awesome Cuisine.