For sizzing Rice Soup
Large dried black mushrooms – 4, stems removed
Boneless, skinless Chicken Breast – 1, medium
Ginger – 1, sliced
Barbequed Pork or Cooked Ham – 1/4 cup
Shrimp – 125 gms
Canned Bamboo shoots – 1/4 cup
Canned water Chestnuts – 1/4 cup
Chicken Stock or Broth – 5 cups
Reserved Mushroom soaking liquid – 1 cup
Dark Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
Chinese rice wine or Dry Sherry – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt and Pepper – to taste
Sesame Oil – a few drops
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
For Baked Sizzling Rice
Long Grain Rice – 1 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cups
1. In a pan of hot water, soak mushrooms for 20 mins. Strain the liquid and reserve 1 cup for the soup.
2. Cut mushrooms into quarters and the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots into thin slices.
3. Put chicken and sliced ginger in a pot of boiling water and briefly blanch the chicken, until it changes colour.
4. Drain and cut the chicken into thin slices.
5. Bring the chicken stock or broth and the reserved mushroom liquid to a boil. Add the chicken and pork, shrimp and the vegetables.
6. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
7. Add the soy sauce, sherry and the salt and pepper and drizzle with sesame oil.
8. Bring back to a boil and then let it simmer for a few more more minutes. Place the soup in a large serving bowl and keep warm.
9. Heat wok and add oil for deep frying. When oil is ready, add the crispy rice. Deep fry until it puffs and turns brown, then drain on paper towels.
10. Add the rice to the soup at the table, so that the rice make popping sounds when added to the broth.
For baked sizzling rice:
11. Rinse 1 cup of long or medium grain rice.
12. In a pot, add 1 1/2 cups of water to the rice and bring to a boil.
13. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
14. While rice is cooling, preheat oven to 300F.
15. Place the rice on a baking sheet, making sure that it is about 1/4 inch thick.
16. Bake the rice for 50-55 minutes, until it is dry.
17. Cool and cut into 2 inch squares.
18. Store in a canister until needed. Do not freeze.
19. When serving, heat the soup and deep fry the the squares and add to soup.
Sizzling Rice Soup Recipe
Recommended for you
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Sizzling Rice Soup from Awesome Cuisine.