500 gms Basmati rice
1 large Onion, sliced
2 cups Green peas, parboiled
170 gms Ghee
3 inch Cinnamon stick
a handful of Cashewnuts
100 gms of Raisins
Salt to taste
1. Wash the rice and soak it for 30 minutes. Drain of the excess water.
2. In a pan, heat the ghee and add the sliced onions and fry till they are light brown in colour.
3. Fry the cashewnuts and raisins and keep aside.
4. Add cloves, cinnamon, peppercorns and cardamoms and fry for a minute and add the rice. Fry on low heat so that each grain of rice is coated with ghee.
5. Add the peas and fry for 3 minutes.
6. Add salt and cover the rice with double the amount of boiling water.
7. Bring to a boil and simmer with the closed lid till the rice is done and the water has been absorbed.
8. Garnish with fried cashewnuts and raisins and serve hot.