Candied cherries – 1 cup
Currants or raisins – 1 cup
Brandy or rum to soak
Flour – 2 cups
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Allspice powder – 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
Butter – 250 gms
Brown sugar – 1 cup
Lemon zest – 1 tbsp
Eggs – 5, separated
1. Place the cherries and the currants/raisins in a small bowl and cover them with brandy/rum, leave them to soak overnight.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, allspice and cinnamon.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in the flour, alternately with the cherries, currants/raisins, add the lemon zest.
4. Beat the egg whites in a bowl until white peaks are formed and then beat in the egg yolks, carefully fold into the creamed mixture.
5. Grease a baking ting, line it with a double fold of butter paper and spoon the cake batter into this. Bake in a moderate oven at 160C/325F for about 1 1/2 hours or until a bamboo skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. Remove the cake from the oven, sprinkle with brandy or rum, wrap in cling film and keep in an airtight tin. This cake can be kept for 2 to 3 months without spoiling.
Preparation time: Overnight 20 mins.
Baking time: 60 to 90 minutes.
Rich Christmas Cake Recipe
You might also like:
Feel free to comment or share your thoughts on this recipe of Rich Christmas Cake from Awesome Cuisine.